Table of Contents
Rapid Prototyping for general microcontroller applications, USB and 32-bit ARM® Cortex™-M0+ based designs using the Freescale Freedom development platform (FRDM-KL25Z)
- Order a FRDM-KL25Z - Only $12.95!
The FRDM-KL25Z has been designed by Freescale in collaboration with mbed for prototyping all sorts of devices, especially those requiring the size and price point offered by Cortex-M0+ and the power of USB Host and Device. It is packaged as a development board with connectors to break out to strip board and breadboard, and includes a built-in USB FLASH programmer.
It is based on the Freescale KL25Z, with a 32-bit ARM Cortex-M0+ core running at 48MHz. It includes 128KB FLASH, 16KB RAM and lots of interfaces including USB Host, USB Device, SPI, I2C, ADC, DAC, PWM, Touch Sensor and other I/O interfaces.
The FRDM-KL25Z is fully supported in the mbed platform, so it gets access to the free tools and SDK that provides experienced embedded developers with powerful and productive tools for building proof-of-concepts. For developers new to 32-bit microcontrollers, mbed provides an accessible prototyping solution to get projects built with the backing of libraries, resources and support shared in the mbed community.
- Freescale KL25Z Kinetis KL2 MCU (MKL25Z128VLK4)
- High performance ARM® Cortex™-M0+ Core
- 48MHz, 16KB RAM, 128KB FLASH
- 2xSPI, 2xI2C, 3xUART, 6xPWM, 6xADC, Touch Sensor, GPIO
- FRDM-KL25Z Onboard peripherals
- MMA8451Q - 3-axis accelerometer
- PWM Controlled RGB LED
- Capacitive touch sensor
- Evalution Form factor
- 81mm x 53mm
- 5V USB or 4.5-9V supply
- Built-in USB drag 'n' drop FLASH programmer
- mbed.org Developer Website
- Lightweight Online Compiler
- High level C/C++ SDK
- Cookbook of published libraries and projects
Tools and Software¶
All mbed-enabled hardware is supported by the mbed.org developer website, including a lightweight Online Compiler and developer tools taht work on Windows, Linux or Mac OS X.
- Find out more about the mbed Online Compiler
Also included is a C/C++ SDK for productive high-level programming of peripherals. Combined with the wealth of libraries and code examples being published by the mbed community, the platform provides a productive environment for getting things done.
The mbed FRDM KL25Z is one of a range of hardware platforms supported by the mbed SDK. It includes a built-in USB programming interface that is as simple as using a USB Flash Drive. Plug it in, drop on an ARM program binary, and its up and running!
Getting started with the FRDM-KL25Z on mbed¶
To use the FRDM-KL25Z with mbed,the first thing you will want to do is add the mbed firmware. Full instructions are here:
- Powered by USB or 5.0v - 9.0v applied to VIN
- Digital IO pins are 3.3v, 4mA each, 400mA max total
- Vin - External Power supply to the board
- 5.0v-9.0v, 100mA
- RESET - Active-low reset pin with identical functionality to the reset button.
Schematics and Data Sheets¶
Freescale KL25Z MCU
13 related questions:
7 months, 2 weeks ago