C stdlib compiler documentation

31 Oct 2010

Hi Embedders.

I am proud to call myself a mbed newbie, at least for a few days more :-) I have a long C/C++ history, so this area is no problem.

My question is: When I look at sample mbed code, I see printf's. I have searched, bit I cannot find documentation on what stdout is on an mbed device. What I really wnat to know, is where to go for proper documentation. Where are the standard C libraries documented, regarding mbed specialities?

I found this doc, but it is not mbed detailed: http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.dui0475b/Cihgdcdj.html 

Thanks

Jan H

01 Nov 2010

Somebody at mbed.org must be able to ansver this simple question?

01 Nov 2010

Hi Jan

Simon's post here might be the most useful for you. The simple answer here is that stdout defaults to the USB serial port.

Regards
Daniel

01 Nov 2010

Thanks Daniel.

I already knew (by now) that stdout is USB port. But the question is, where is this documented?

I do not think it is optimal to obtain information by looking at 1000 pieces of sample code. I do not hthink it is very reliable.

If it is not documented it is ok. It is just nice to know this, so I do not search in vain.

Thanks

Jan

01 Nov 2010

I think if you want to go down to "what is stdout?", you should be able to figure it out yourself (or ask, like you did). I don't think documenting all the little details is worth the time since most users don't care how printf is implemented, just that it works.