Trouble 1) importing files 2) duplicate file names between programs

12 Nov 2009

In working with the compiler interface today I have encountered two issues

1) It seems you must have uniquie file names for all files under "My Programs". Even if you create sub folders for programs you can not have the same files name that exists in another "program". Any way aroud this ?

2) When trying to import a file from my local machine (WinXP + IE8 ) the file uploads but is not listed in the file listing. If I try to re-import it I get an error the file exists so the upload did complete. Any clues why the file does not show in the listing ?

Cheers !

12 Nov 2009

Hi David,

David Kuhlmeier wrote:
1) It seems you must have uniquie file names for all files under "My Programs". Even if you create sub folders for programs you can not have the same files name that exists in another "program". Any way aroud this ?

You should certainly not need unique names within different programs (but you will within the same program). Are you creating these files within a different program, or within folders in the same program (as that may have the effect you are seeing)?

To create a new program, right-click "My Programs" and choose "New Program...". Sorry if this is obvious; this works normally, so any other details that might identify what you are doing to show this behaviour would be good.

David Kuhlmeier wrote:
2) When trying to import a file from my local machine (WinXP + IE8 ) the file uploads but is not listed in the file listing. If I try to re-import it I get an error the file exists so the upload did complete. Any clues why the file does not show in the listing ?
This has the potential to be a bug, so it would be great if we could reproduce it. Thanks for providing the platform/browser as that narrows it down; to help us reproduce it fully can you tell us what file you are uploading (contents, extension)? And the steps/anything else needed to reproduce the problem?

Thanks,

Simon

13 Nov 2009

Hi Simon,

1) I have created seperate "program" folders in the manner you stated. After more fiddling around the problem only occurs when "importing" files. I can create files with the same names under different "programs" but I can not "import" a file into a "program" if that same filename exists in another "program" already. It looks like all the program files share a single virtual directory on your server rather than sub-directories for each "program". Just a guess from the error message I see.

2) Just starting working now. Made no changes on my end, no system reboot or browser restart. Hopefully you fixed something on your end and it is not a fluke it's working now :)

Cheers !  

13 Nov 2009

David Kuhlmeier wrote:
2) Just starting working now. Made no changes on my end, no system reboot or browser restart. Hopefully you fixed something on your end and it is not a fluke it's working now :)

No, we haven't changed anything! If you manage to reproduce it, please say so, but otherwise we'll just ensure we really hammer this area and see if we can find it in our next round of testing.

Also, we don't use a "single virtual directory" or alike, so we'll again see if we can reproduce it but still sounds a little strange. I'll blame IE8 for now so I can sleep :).

Simon