Serial Port Driver for PC on VISTA x64

02 Sep 2009 . Edited: 04 Sep 2009

I tried to install the mbedWinSerial_16219 on my PC which runs VISTA Home Premium edition which is a 64 bit OS and failed. The message is:

"The driver could  not be installed. The application is for Windows XP or later, 32bit only."

Is there a version that works on VISTA 64, or any other way to install this driver on my machine?

V.G.

04 Sep 2009

Hi,

Vahe Ghazikhanian wrote:

I tried to install the mbedWinSerial_16219 on my PC which runs VISTA Home Premium edition which is a 64 bit OS and failed. The message is:

"The driver could  not be installed. The application is for Windows XP or later, 32bit only."

Is there a version that works on VISTA 64, or any other way to install this driver on my machine?

We have the drivers now, and are just working on the installer - we've been doing some re-engineering to make the serial port on windows better (no need to configure the mbed with an mbed.ini file, yay!), so the driver up at the moment is our first test one of the new generation. We'll aim to put up a 64-bit versions soon.

Simon

10 Sep 2009

Why do you have a custom driver instead of using usbser.sys?

10 Sep 2009

Hi Igor,

Igor Skochinsky wrote:

Why do you have a custom driver instead of using usbser.sys?

It is because the windows usbser.sys is a buggy, and causes you e.g. to have to reboot your machine if you unplug things when you still have a handle open to the serial port.

I really wish windows had a decent default serial port (it would have saved us soooooo much effort), but it doesn't, and it just isn't reliable enough when you want a rock solid product. So that is the unfortunate why.

The one we have is really good, and will be available on all platforms soon.

Simon

21 Sep 2009

Hi, any news on this? Could you maybe in meantime put up an .inf file for usbser.sys (with a big WARNING if needed)? It's getting a bit silly to have to run everything inside Virtual XP :/

21 Sep 2009

Igor Skochinsky wrote:
Hi, any news on this? Could you maybe in meantime put up an .inf file for usbser.sys (with a big WARNING if needed)? It's getting a bit silly to have to run everything inside Virtual XP :/

Yeah, that doesn't sound fun!

I'll see what we can do.

30 Sep 2009

Hi Igor,

We've just released a new driver installer that includes Vista x64. If you go to:

/handbook/WindowsSerialConfiguration

you should be able to try it out. We've also released new firmware which works better and should be used with it, so i'd update that beforehand too (details linked from same page).

I'll blog the details later, but it'd be great if you could try this and confirm!

Simon

30 Sep 2009

Updated firmware, installed the driver, and everything worked without a hitch. Thanks a lot!