mbed USB is not working. How to copy program to localfilesystem partition ?

20 Mar 2013

My mbed USB is not working. I want to copy the binary file to mbed. May I know how can I do this now? I can use flash magic, but I dont know if it removes localfilesystem. My program stores a file in localfilesystem and reads it later. So I need localfilesystem.

Reason why USB is not working: mbed was powered ON using a baseboard that supplies 12V to mbed VCC pin. Simultaneously, I connected I connected mbed to PC via USB. USB is not working now. The program in mbed is working fine without any problem.

I want to reprogram the mbed now and I want to use localfilesystem partition in my program.

21 Mar 2013

This is from the Handbook page for the local file system.

Warning

The USB drive will only re-appear when all file handles are closed in your program, or the microcontroller program exits.

If a running program on the mbed does not exit or does not release it's open file handles, you will no longer be able to see the USB drive when you plug the mbed into your PC. To allow you to see the drive again (and load a new program), use the following procedure:

Unplug the microcontroller Hold the reset button down While still holding the button, plug in the microcontroller. The mbed USB drive should appear. Keep holding the button until the new program is saved onto the USB drive.

21 Mar 2013

Hello Mike,

I agree.......... but the case is different here. The USB IS BURNT!!!!!!!!! "Reason why USB is not working: mbed was powered ON using a baseboard that supplies 12V to mbed VCC pin. Simultaneously, I connected I connected mbed to PC via USB. USB is not working now. The program in mbed is working fine without any problem"...............THERE WAS SMOKE FROM USB IC NEAR USB PIN!!!!!!!! still, microcontroller is working fine with the program.

Note: mbed will not ON with USB. So no USB communication

21 Mar 2013

The memory used by LocalFileSystem is attached to the interface chip, if this is what is ruined then it will be inaccessible.

21 Mar 2013

@ Stephan : So you mean to say that I cannot access this local file system? I know that localfilesystem is not corrupted because the program which i copied is still running (It reads a text file from localfilesystem and sends it via serial port and its working fine.......)..

22 Mar 2013

Thanks everyone. Found out the problem. One of the IC got damaged. I Shorted IC pins with Vin and its working fine now :)