Project: keyboard adapter / computer aid

28 Jan 2010

So my idea is to use the mbed as a computer aid, for people who use unsecure PCs (internet cafes, anywhere they don't have control of the hardware).

The device would be placed in between a USB keyboard and the PC, with functions that could be toggled through key commands (for example: *p to type out a password saved in memory)

Functions will include: remembering usernames, creating and retaining passwords, key logging, encrypting messages and anything else useful.

So far I have a pretty weak implementation, using the serial communication example from the handbook. Next time I get a chance to work on this I want to wire up the hardware  (USB type-A plug to the mbeds data and power pins, have the mbed work as a host for a keyboard, USB output to mimic the keyboard and enter data to the PC)

The main thing I want to get done is make an easy to use one time pad encryption system on seperate hardware to the PC, I originally posted the idea on the avrfreaks forum: http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=83544

It seems like implementing this with the mbed should be doable, if anyone has advice, corrections to my horrible code (I usually program in java) or ideas feel free to comment.

program1