Sharing code within a workgroup

08 Apr 2012

I'm working with a small group developing code for a project. We're all learning as we go, as this is our first mbed project ever. We want to share snippets of code as we get pieces working, but these pieces are not finished enough to publish to the community. Is there a mechanism within mbed for sharing code in a small group, or should we just e-mail code back and forth?

08 Apr 2012

You could publish the program but uncheck the "Add to my public mbed profile" option so that people can't just find the code by looking at your profile but you can see it and e-mail links to other people in your workgroup, allowing them to import the code. You could also use the online compiler's export option to create a zip archive of your project and e-mail this archive. Other members in your workgroup can then use the import feature of the compiler to pull in the code from this archive.

Currently there is no way for you to share access to a single repository of code on the mbed website.

I guess another thing that you could do is share your code through a source control system (such as git through a service like github) that runs separate of the mbed website. You start a project in the online compiler and then export it to a zip archive. Extract this zip archive and use it for the initial population of your git repository. Other people in your workgroup can pull from this repository, zip up the source code found within, and import it to their online mbed workspace. Once people are done working through a change on the online compiler, they can export to a zip archive again, decompress it into their git repository and merge/commit their changes into the repository where others can pull their changes for import into the online compiler. The thing that sucks about this approach is how to deal with merges. You would want to issue a git pull to get the latest copy of the shared sources from the repository, then export your changes from the online mbed compiler, extract these changes to the repository, perform the merge in git, and then zip up the resulting merge to be imported back into the online compiler.

-Adam

10 Apr 2012

Sounds like you need to start working offline with this project and use a normal source control system. The online IDE is a great learning tool and fine for a single developer playing with this kit but it is unsuitable for team work, I guess it was never designed for that. Trying to use the online IDE this way leaves too many chances of code to be lost in an integration.

Pop over to www.atlassian.com, Lots of tools for only $10 one of payment for 10 licences if you host it your self. Even for a small novice team Jira is very handy.