Using the pins for ethernet interface as I/O pins

15 Feb 2012

Is it possible to use the pins for the ethernet interface somehow as extra port pins ?

15 Feb 2012

I realy hope so, because i have just sent files of to be made into a coustom PCB!

Although, I have dragged out all the other pins as well.

By the way, I would like to know if anyone else has got ethernet to work on A coustom board.

Ceri

16 Feb 2012

What I meant was using the pins for ethernet coming out of the mbed module as extra IO pins :) In my project I already used up all port pins and the two pins of the second USB port and would like to add SD storage... If only the internal filesystem would not interfere with my interrupts...

16 Feb 2012

Have you considered a port expandor chip ? Prity sure there is a thread somewhere.

Ceri

17 Feb 2012

http://mbed.org/users/Lerche/notebook/lpc1768-pin-functions/

If you look carefully, you'll see that the Ethernet pins on the LPC1768 is available in DigitalIn / Out. The difference between the LPC1768 and the mbed module, is the PHY which is located on the bottom of mbed-LPC1768. So as far as I can tell, you cannot use the mbed's Ethernet pins as Digital pins. But on the bare LPC1768 you can.

Lerche

17 Feb 2012

ceri clatworthy wrote:

Have you considered a port expandor chip ? Prity sure there is a thread somewhere.

Ceri

Yes I did but with my project timing is already supertight (my interrupt handler is less than 1 usec and interrupts can be as close as 2.5 usec apart) I guess the best option is to design a PCB with the LPC1768 directly or use the LPCxpresso.