Interesting mbed related Google Search Ad

10 Feb 2013

I was searching Google for something related to mbed today and I saw an ad at the bottom of my search results which contained a link to this mbed.org page: http://mbed.org/mbed2.0/

Very Interesting!

10 Feb 2013

Nice find!

Quote:

some new platforms from new Silicon Partners.

So several new platforms, and what surprises me most is that apparently they will use other 'silicon partners', which I guess means other ARM manufacturers (at least I do assume mbed will stick to ARMs). I at least would assume a faster one, an M4 then. But if it is not an NXP one it will not really help with portability of code published on the site when the code is a bit more on hardware level (for example a MODSERIAL).

And since apparently there are several new platforms coming, I may do another guess. How about a low power mbed variant? (Yes I know about the 11u24, but if you look at the entire power consumption of the mbed module it is alot more than what just the 11u24 can achieve).

For new online features I am hoping on code completion :)

10 Feb 2013

I signed up for e-mail notification about this late last week...nothing so far other than a confirmation e-mail though.

It'll be interesting to find out a bit more...let's hope we don't have to wait too long!

Jez

11 Feb 2013

Perhaps the cool new online features will also upgrade the online compiler with more options like setting the optimization level, HEX output, debug... (in a nutshell: a full eclipse based online compiler).

An mbed board where the SWD/JTAG interface can be disconnected from the on-board controller would also be a neat feature, then we can use the cmsis DAP debug with home made boards.

I wonder what the new silicon will be (would the LPC1788 be a good candidate for the mbed 2.0 - external RAM & FLASH, LCD controller, ...)?

What will be the selling price?

11 Feb 2013

some hints...
http://mbed.org/questions/373/Move-mbed-to-my-own-hardware-possible/#answer422

Stephen Paulger wrote:

Willem, the interface chip is not currently available on its own. However in the next few weeks there will be an important announcement that you will find very interesting.

16 Feb 2013

Single chip interface/target? (like an mbed bootloader of sorts) that would really make the transition to homegrown HW easy, and properly cheap.

16 Feb 2013

Thomas Olsson wrote:

Single chip interface/target? (like an mbed bootloader of sorts) that would really make the transition to homegrown HW easy, and properly cheap.

mbed may follow the same approach as others (TI Launchpad, lpcxpresso, nuvoton etc) and provide a separate debug interface and targetprocessor connected by jtag or SWD. That allows you to buy only one interface and reuse it for multiple targets or for your own hardware.

16 Feb 2013

Hi Adam, All,

Well spotted :P

Yes, we've got a couple of big things that we've been working really hard on for the last year that have all come together in the last few weeks, so this is going to be a big milestone for mbed.

Obviously some of the things we've been doing you will have seen, as you are already mbed developers and we've been rolling them out to you during the year (things like the new collaboration infrastructure, the new questions-and-answers area).

But some have had to be kept under the radar, even to all you dedicated mbed developers! I'm really excited to finally be able to tell you all!

So FYI, I've given it the codename mbed 2.0.

In fact, I'll be on the lookout for some web beta testers early next week; we've neatened up and improved the site a bit as part of it, and i'd love to let a few of you look around before we go public.

Simon

17 Feb 2013

Now we know why it was so difficult to get in touch with the mbed staff in the past weeks.

Sign me up for the beta test.

19 Feb 2013

Well, that is a significant change. For people who don't notice anything, enable beta mode. It looks good, although some parts are imo a bit chaotic.

Probably most interesting change overall for now is the hardware DK: http://mbed.org/handbook/mbed-HDK. Including the not so great surprise that the 'magic chip' is just a regular microcontroller, but a bigger surprise that apparently the firmware will be free. (Random question, how are you guys going to make money from it?)

Also a nice one:

Quote:

Our partners are now also creating mbed-enabled hardware such as ultra low-cost ARM evaluation boards in the popular Arduino form-factor.

Now personally I prefer the mbed form factor / arduino nano formfactor, but still interesting development.

20 Feb 2013

hmm, interesting commit history ;)

http://mbed.org/users/mbed_official/code/mbed/shortlog

10 Apr 2013

Quote:

To mark the release of mbed 2.0, we've got some stuff to give away. Any mailing list signups between February 1st to March 31st will be entered into a draw!

When and where will the giveaway list be published?