Any hints on using CSTN LCD panel?

07 Jul 2009

I scavenged a couple of these (along with their touchscreens) from some obsolete StrongARM development platforms a co-worker was throwing out.  They're Kyocera KCS3224 models.  In the last hour I've been able to determine that they are color STN displays (Super Twist Nematic!) which is antique technology, and that there are driver chips from Epson and possibly other places that can interface to it.  As far as I can tell they're all PQFP or BGA or other hard to solder packages.  So I was wondering if it could be bit banged.  Most of the interface is digital, although there is at least one analog voltage for LCD contrast.  The pixel data is 8 bits wide, but with pixels interleaved in some fashion I haven't found out yet.  Plus some framing control pins I haven't figured out yet.

So, any suggestions for easier to breadboard controllers?  Any pointers to information on the STN interface?  Anyone used one before?

thanks,

--steve

07 Jul 2009

As I recall, STN is just the display technology and has nothing to do with the interface. Have you tried clocking data into the device?

Tim

07 Jul 2009

Since posting at 1am last night I was emailed a datasheet for the device from a gentleman in Kyocera's sales channel.  The part number has been superceded, which is why I wasn't able to find much.  It's a little complicated to drive these things.  There's a 25-30 volt A/C signal generated internally used to bias the display, which is driven from a counter connected to the line latch pin of the signal interface.  If you don't send data fast enough the frequency of the bias will be too low and the organic guts of the LCD will be permanently polarized and the display useless.  So a software error can kill the display pretty easily.  Maybe TFT has done away with this.

Anyway, I think I've got what I need -- hopefully Big Mouth Billy Bass will have a touchscreen interface soon.

BTW my mbed project is now on youtube, take a look at the video if you haven't already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6kECR7T4LY

--steve

17 Sep 2011

http://www.circuitcellar.com/nxpmbeddesignchallenge/winners/HM3811.htm

I have really been meaning to finish the documentation and get this posted as a library but I have been busy lately.