Issues with serial communication (UART) with Putty on Debian

26 Mar 2018

Hello everyone,

I tried those examples : https://os.mbed.com/docs/v5.7/tutorials/serial-comm.html#using-terminal-applications, but I have some issues with the serial communication. In my case, that works only on one way, from my pc to the board. I can't see the printf message as you can see on the helloworld program example in the link above.

I am on Linux Debian, I use putty and screen with the command line "$ sudo screen /dev/ttyACM0". The dimmer example works fine, when I press on my keyboard the "u" or the "d", the brightness led changes more or less according to the selected letter. My putty configuration is on the picture below. /media/uploads/tyger6/screenshot_20180326_191327.png

Unfortunately, I tried to install CoolTerm but I didn't come to set up it. If anyone can help me ?

28 Mar 2018

Hello Rémi,

Rather than running the screen utility try to use PuTTY as serial terminal :
When the PuTTY is running, in Session category select the Serial radio button and setup the "Serial line" as needed. Then proceed to the Connection > Serial category and once you have finished with the serial line configuration (as shown in the picture above) then click on the Open button and a serial terminal window shall popup.