How to load mbed firmware onto new chip/board

17 Feb 2014

Hi

I have a board with the LPC1768 chip on it .

board here: http://www.wvshare.com/column/LPC_DevelopmentBoard.htm#Open1768

How do I load the mbed firmware onto the chip, so I can use the online compiler ? I do have NXP Flash Magic installed and its working fine

I have searched but nothing have shown up (so far).

Thanks

17 Feb 2014

The online compiler generates bin files, Flash Magic requires hex files. The only thing you need is a utility to change bin files into hex files, aptly named bin2hex. Search on bin2hex, and you get alot of posts regarding it, since there are alot of utilities with the same name. Some have size limits because they are ancient.

But you don't need to load any special firmware on the chip itself (you also won't get drag and drop programming, you have to use flashmagic or for example a dedicated programmer.

17 Feb 2014

Thanks

Was hoping for drag and drop, but nawell.....

kim

17 Feb 2014

The drag and drop part isn't running on the LPC1768 itself, it is running on a seperate IC. If that seperate IC isn't available, it won't have drag and drop programming. Only the LPC11u24 and similar ones have it built in in the microcontroller itself.

17 Feb 2014

If you want Drag n Drop, then you could try this...

But you will need to hack an LPC812 dev board, or build a custom PCB,

Alternatively the LPC1347, which is the M3 version of LPC11U24 (the yellow MBED)

has drag n drop USB Boot programming.

Ceri

18 Feb 2014

The LPC1768 has the peripherals I need so will stay with this chip. bin2hex conversion is fine, just a bit painful during development with another half a dozen unnecessary mouse clicks. I guess a small script will fix this......

18 Feb 2014

this is one I used in my programmer

// convery input file to .HEX
bin2hex 1.bin 1.hex

// command to drive Flash Magic (from dos prompt, or BAT file)
fm COM(32, 230400) DEVICE(LPC1768, 12.000000) INTERFACE(FDIUSBICPLPC2K) HARDWARE(BOOTEXEC, 300, 300) ERASE(DEVICE, PROTECTISP) HEXFILE(C:\1.HEX, NOCHECKSUMS, NOFILL, PROTECTISP) QUIET (Results.txt)

you could add both files in a single BAT file, and associate an ICON on your desktop :)

20 Feb 2014

Thanks for the script, coming in handy already :-) Would have taken a while to figure out the FM script

Kim