Trouble with USB serial in windows7

05 May 2012

Hello. I'm still learning how to use mbed and I was trying this topic http://mbed.org/handbook/SerialPC (my OS is windows7).

I have installed the driver that the Windows serial configuration suggests, but Tera Term cannot find the mbed usb port. I think i have followed every step right. Maybe the problem is in my computer. So I took a picture of my device manager window:

/media/uploads/Rafaeluz/mbedcapture.png

This "mbed Composite Device" in "Other devices" has no driver installed, however, the "MBED" in "Portable Devices" and the "mbed Composite Device" in "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" have their drivers working. Is there anything wrong? I really need some help.

Thanks.

05 May 2012

Hi Rafael,

Does your mbed appear as a mass storage device when you connect it?

When I connect my mbed, having installed the serial port driver on windows 7, it appears under "Ports (COM & LPT)".

/media/uploads/stevep/com-port.png

I do not have an entry called "Other devices" so I think I would try reinstalling the driver.

When it's working TeraTerm will find it.

/media/uploads/stevep/teraterm-com.png

Steve

05 May 2012

Thanks!!! It was so helpfull! Tera Term is now working!

02 Sep 2012

I'm having the same issue where the MBED appears as "Communication Port (COM1)" and also "mbed Composite Device" with a yellow exclamation. I have three mbed devices and to of them do this. One does not.

I tried reinstalling the drivers but that did not fix it. How do you get rid of the "mbed Composite Device" with a yellow exclamation?