Some hardware questions and sugestions

05 Oct 2012

Hi guys I suppose these questions are mainly aimed at the Mbed team , but any info is useful. I am still an Mbed noob so excuse my ignorance.

There are a few questions that have been niggling at me that I'd love to know the answers too mainly with a view to going to custom hardware from an mbed. I know there is a post on the subject but there are one or two finer points I am unsure of.

On the MBED reference schematic it shows the DP83848J pins pin22(LED_SPEED/AN1) and 21(LED_LINK/AN0) connected to P1.25 and P1.26 on the LPC1768 , whats the reasoning behind this ? do the Ethernet lib's require this of is it just optional to check the lights and output them on another pin if you want too?

On pins, I have 3 Mbed1768 and 2 Mbed-M0 but I also have 2 LPCxpresso1769 boards which are a pin super-set of the mbed and break out a lot more IO pins. They are a cheap alternative to a custom board and baring the PHY being different (LAN8720 PHY) are pin for pin compatible, but have no magic chip but an PLC link JTAG programmer instead , which means booting up codescourcery to program em. Have the Mbed gang thought about an Mbed++ say with more I.O broken out like the xpresso ?

I have read the proto to hardware and the bootloader is one option , as is the LPC-Link off an xpresso to get your code on the chip. Have Mbed crew thought of offering the Mbedchip portion as a standalone product , like an LPC-Link but with the drag n drop interface like the mbed (without serial pass-tru and mbed filesystem part , basically a drag'ndrop jtag programmer that would be good.

I have got the LAN8720 PHY working with mbed ethernet libs on the xpresso (thanks to chris) so I can use that for semi permanent but sure would love to have a big long mbed with all io available :) or even a drag n drop programmer instead of the LPC link

05 Oct 2012

Maverick War wrote:

On the MBED reference schematic it shows the DP83848J pins pin22(LED_SPEED/AN1) and 21(LED_LINK/AN0) connected to P1.25 and P1.26 on the LPC1768 , whats the reasoning behind this ? do the Ethernet lib's require this of is it just optional to check the lights and output them on another pin if you want too?

The mbed ethernet lib works fine without the LED pins connected. I was unsure about that too and tried it on the LandTiger board. This board may interest you also. It has all pins broken out and is fairly compatible to mbed. You can download software through serial bootloader or by using the onboard JLINK interface which is almost as convenient as the magicchip. See here

17 Oct 2013

Hello Maverick, hello Wim I am a MBED newby too, but I have many years expiriences with BASCOM and all types of AVR controller. Now, I have thought, it is time to learn"C" with a new controller. Therefore, I have bought a MBED-board and the books from Elektor. It is a very interesting, but now I have a problem to understand the following : Which steps are required to use the following code that I am able to swap my ethernet code (build with MBED-compiler) to a LandTiger. I have bought a LandTiger board, that I am able in the future, to build my own hardware, based on LandTiger instead of MBED.

extern "C" void mbed_mac_address(char * mac) { MAC address may for example be cloned from scrapped modem box mac[0] = 0x00; mac[1] = 0x01; mac[2] = 0x02; mac[3] = 0x03; mac[4] = 0x04; mac[5] = 0x05; }

I have undestand, that I must overwrite the MAC adress with a fixed MAC adress from code above. Therefore, I must put this small code into a external *.cpp file but which steps are needed in addition?

Many thanks in advance for your hints or examples Have a nice evening Marco