Searching in compiler import

16 Feb 2013

If I search in the import screen in the compiler it always returns that it didnt find anything. Even when I search for something like "I2C", which should returns many programs/libraries.

18 Feb 2013

This problem seems to be going on for quite some time. I sent a message to mbed support when i was not able to find known libraries and programs (some worked, others didn't).

They got it solved but later on, the problem came back, so i sent a new support request.

Perhaps we need to wait until mbed 2.0 is released?

19 Feb 2013

mbed 2.0 - Searching in the compiler import screen is fully functional again.

19 Feb 2013

well sort of.

I still don't like the fact that it doesn't search the tags, only description & name. You can click a tags in the result list to search for that word but again, code with that tag are not necessarily included in the resault.

In spite of this, the compiler import screen is now the best option for finding code because the sort function now works (but not on tags) and the general main search still don't have this feature and now it is no longer possible to choose libraries OR programs.

i'm ranting i know, but the ever growing amount of code and information is great and a big help, but ONLY if you have the tools to navigate it.

19 Feb 2013

It is a good rant to have :) Search is something we'd like to make even better, and steve has put in a new search engine infrastructure ready so we should be able to see what is possible once the excitement of february releases are over.

Keep the comments coming!

Simon

20 Feb 2013

Thomas' his comment made me check if you implemented the idea of showing the number of imports there, so you could easier find which one you probably need. Glad to see it is implemented, and also sorted on that by default.

20 Feb 2013

Thomas Olsson wrote:

well sort of.

I still don't like the fact that it doesn't search the tags, only description & name. You can click a tags in the result list to search for that word but again, code with that tag are not necessarily included in the resault.

Searching by tags is something that should work, I'll add investigating that to the list of things to do.

Thomas Olsson wrote:

In spite of this, the compiler import screen is now the best option for finding code because the sort function now works (but not on tags) and the general main search still don't have this feature and now it is no longer possible to choose libraries OR programs.

Because the tags is a list sorting on them wouldn't work very well, it'd probably be more annoying than not being able to sort by tags. Perhaps if searching by tag is fixed then you won't miss being able to sort by tags.

Thomas Olsson wrote:

i'm ranting i know, but the ever growing amount of code and information is great and a big help, but ONLY if you have the tools to navigate it.

Ranting is allowed and I agree that the search needs to be the best it can be with the continually growing amount of content and code available on the site. This is why we've changed the search backend, the new one should allow us to be more flexible in the search features that we provide (for example it enabled the sorting in the import wizard) and what you "rant" about determines, to a certain extent, what our priorities are, so please carry on :)

Steve

20 Feb 2013

Great, looks like we are on the same page on the subject.

And Steve, you are right, sorting tags is pointless and maybe even a violation of the second law of thermodynamics.