Mbed Workshop Boards Now Available!

08 Jul 2010 . Edited: 08 Jul 2010

Hi - Mat from Cool Components (www.coolcomponents.co.uk) here.

We've just started to produce an mbed designed breakout board.

It doesn't do anything clever, but it makes connecting a few crucial pluggable things to the mbed much easier.

Here's a nice picture :

mbed workshop breakout board

The board features :

• Double lined header sockets so that probe wires can be easily connected to any mbed pin
  • RJ45 Ethernet with LED indicators
  • USB A
  • USB B
  • Transflash (SD Card) socket
Hope you enjoy!
Mat
Cool Components
08 Jul 2010

Is that an RJ45 Magjack with the required magnetics?

Bill

08 Jul 2010

Yes, magnetics included.

08 Jul 2010

Here's the link to the LAN socket, datasheet is at the bottom

18 Aug 2010

Mat, if you do another revision of this board for whatever reason, can I please request that you route the USB and ethernet signal pairs in some resemblance of how they're supposed to be routed? :-) (At least differential routing/maintenance of differential impedance, maybe termination after the USB signals split into two for the two sockets -- if you google for "usb routing" you'll find all you need).

Also, question: if I were to drill a couple of holes in the board under the mbed socket, right where the mbed (top) and coolcomponents (bottom) text is, will I be drilling anywhere near any invisible signals (on internal layers, if any?). I will of course ensure the copper planes do not short.

Cheers,

Hugo

18 Aug 2010

Hi Hugo

Thanks for the feedback. V2 of the board due out in 1-2 months time has already been designed with the changes you've suggested, including selectable USB termination

The holes are fine - there are no hidden layers.

Regards

18 Aug 2010

I thinik instead of USB-B socket (does anyone ever use it?) it might be better to have a mini-USB one.

18 Aug 2010

Would a micro be better than a mini? After all they are apparently the new standard for chargers etc....

19 Aug 2010

From what I can see, Mini-USB is still more common than Micro-USB. I also think the micro-USB isn't as mechanically robust (my phone has a micro-USB for charging/sync and it feels like the connector is going to break each time I attach it). Either one would be an improvement over full size USB-B though!

Thanks,

Hugo

12 Sep 2010
user avatar Mat Fordy wrote:
due out in 1-2 months time

Hi Mat

Can you post here as soon as they are available?

Thanks
Daniel

25 Sep 2010

Hi Mat,

http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=528&osCsid=j90j5kqfegquksdbumahtmuqg5

Say's it's a "mini SD slot" card. It's actually a "micro SD slot" card :)

29 Oct 2010

This board looks very nice.  I don't need the LCD support or development area that Star Board Orange has.

29 Oct 2010

Hey Mat

Following Richard's post, I just checked at the website and it says "This product will be in stock on Monday 01 November, 2010."

Is this for the V2 you mentioned above?

I really fancy a second mbed and workshop board. My first is in "production" here (you have to imagine it but it is in there sandwiched between two stripboards), but I like the option of being able to try things out on a second system.

It also says backorder not available, can you keep one for me ;-)

Regards
Daniel

03 Nov 2010

Just received mine, looks like I ordered just at the right time :-)

12 Nov 2010

Version 2 has just been released:

http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=608

A bit disappointed as I ordered a v1 on the 1st only to have v2 released days later and slightly cheaper but it turned up quickly and has been so useful!

12 Nov 2010

Rev 2 - nice protoptyping area. I just received a Rev 1 board. May get a Rev 2.

Reasonable mailing cost UK to US.

02 Aug 2011

Revision b of version 2 has now been released. Nothing different apart from the Card Detect line now goes high when a card is inserted into the SD slot. Finish on the PCB is slightly better as well.

10 Sep 2011

Hi

On the V2 rev a board, I think pin 9/10 is always high - is this resolved now?

I think this problem is connected to the CD problem you mention. I had to cut tracks to get the second i2c port to work - took me hours to find the bug :(

Martin Green

31 Oct 2011

Martin Green wrote:

Hi

On the V2 rev a board, I think pin 9/10 is always high - is this resolved now?

I think this problem is connected to the CD problem you mention. I had to cut tracks to get the second i2c port to work - took me hours to find the bug :(

Martin Green

same here... not funny.

11 Jan 2012

Nice board!

It would even be perfect for my projects if i could for POE (power over ethernet)

Can i tweak this beauty to support POE ?

Theo (NL)