Component Software Libraries

19 Dec 2009

Is there any way of creating custom libraries like that made for the LIS302?

I would like to do a similar thing for a couple of peripherals I have but don't seem to be able to create the library. I have found the following:-

http://mbed.org/forum/topic/182/?page=1#comment-744

But I don't seem to be able to get access to the svn to create a new project. I am missing something simple here?

19 Dec 2009 . Edited: 19 Dec 2009

Hi Richard,

Richard Parker wrote:
Is there any way of creating custom libraries like that made for the LIS302? I would like to do a similar thing for a couple of peripherals I have but don't seem to be able to create the library.

We've disabled the cookbook for the moment in favour of the recently added "Notebooks" and the ability to publish programs directly from the compiler; the cookbook mechanism was a little monolithic and the mechanisms (or lack of) were a barrier to publishing. The notebooks and publishing are a much more scalable solution and we'll be adding some things soon to make them more discoverable/searchable too.

The downside is we've lost some of the version control and update features the cookbook enabled, but we're planning to end up with the best of both worlds by building the publishing on top of a distributed version control system (likely to be mercurial for anyone interested).

So for now just write up a notebook page and publishing an example project containing the library files. Easy for you, and easy for others to grab. As more people start to share and use code, we'll aim to improve the mechanisms to support more formal library development.

Looking forward to seeing what you've been working on!

Simon

20 Dec 2009

Nice thing about precompiled libraries from Cookbook is they reduce compilation time. Currently you can't publish libraries, only complete projects (or can you?).

Will the VCS be integrated with the online IDE? Would be a really great feature even for private projects.

20 Dec 2009

Simon Ford wrote:
The downside is we've lost some of the version control and update features the cookbook enabled, but we're planning to end up with the best of both worlds by building the publishing on top of a distributed version control system (likely to be mercurial for anyone interested).
I thought that might be case, but I figure it is always best to ask first!

It would be nice to have more access to the version control for the projects so that you could revert to a previos version etc. but I am happy to wait and watch as things develop.

As for published projects when they are imported are they effectively links to the original or copies? The reason I ask is I would like to be able to have a central location for certain components e.g svn externals that would automatically pull in the most up-to-date code. To me it looks like copies but that is certainly not a show stopper.

I'll get on and clean up my code and dig into the notebooks then, thanks for your reply.