Using encoder for position control in a DC servo motor

08 Apr 2014

Hello. I need to control the pitch angle of a small wind turbine using a DC motor with integrated encoder. I am new to mbed and wish to know what instruction will be appropriate for this application. the blade angle needs to be controlled with respect to the load present on the blade and I need to send the appropriate signal to the motor for position control of the blade. Can anyone please advise me on how to process the encoder signal in the program with reference to a particular range?

10 Apr 2014

Usually encoder is interfaced to the mbed board via interrupt. An encoder can be of many type but in general the encoder sends a high signal when it completes certain amount of rotation for example in my project it was 360 degree. So you need to see how an interrupt is written in the compiler

Hope it helps.

Zee

10 Apr 2014

Thank you for your reply Zee. It does help since I am still learning about the mbed processor. In my case I am dealing with position control of 0-90 degrees. Can you please advise me for this specific application?

10 Apr 2014

QEI Library - Quadrature encoder interface. It's in Cookbook in Interfaces and Drivers.

11 Apr 2014

Thank you for the guidance Mr. Jose. Any help and advice is most welcome.

25 Jul 2014

could I ask how about these two output signal(qea and qeb) of QEI connect to which pin of mbed processor?